Technical Experts and Professionals (JDs, CPAs, MDs, PhDs, CTOs, CIOs)
Are you a lawyer, medical doctor, CPA or PhD who speaks? Perhaps you’re a CTO or CIO with technical expertise and in a leadership position? You’re asked to speak and present to audiences of fellow experts or to audiences in other fields who are interested in benefitting from your expertise.
One client, a JD, enthralls her audiences with story after story about how her specific focus changed the course of many cases. She is educating her audiences about their options and not devolving into how to do what she does. They swamp her with questions after each speech.
A young Ph.D. is making a name for himself in his highly competetive field by speaking at conferences. Although most other speakers literally present their papers (by reading them word for word), this man extracts from his academic works the most interesting, engaging and provocative ideas, speaks conversationally and generates questions and discussions. His reputation is growing at a fast pace.
These clients and others have overcome three main challenges facing experts:
1) You know a vast amount about your subject matter
2) It’s really hard to extract the right content at the right level of detail for each audience
3) You have to push against the confining customs of your field
Your audiences are eager for value delivered through great language and examples. They’re hungry to feel what you feel and to be excited by your passion. They attend live presentations for inspiration, not more informaation. If they want information, they can research.
- Value means opening a space in the imagination for the audience to fill with their own images and thoughts
- Great language is the audiences’ language, evocative, descriptive and interesting and not your own jargon and insider’s language
- Examples are ways for the audience to experience your points or imagine their own actions. They are not detailed reports.
Technical experts and professionals flourish when they turn their technical and professional expertise into stories about helping people solve important problems. Audiences don’t really care about how it works, what it looks like and how you build it; they want to know how to take advantage of your expertise for their own needs.
- They do care about how they benefit from it.
- They do care about how technology and professional expertise help them achieve their own visions.
- They do care about folding it into their own lives so they can get on with the business of serving their customers.
While technology and professional expertise is very left-brained, your audiences need right-brain food too…
Left brain friendly content
- Case studies
Right brain friendly content
- Popular culture
- Exciting visuals
I created my Write a Speech Now model to help speakers like you do exactly this. Study it and see how the visual shows you a combination of left brain and right brain content.
Technical Experts, Lawyers, CPAs, and PhDs…
- You will grow your own reputation through speaking and presentations
- You’ll be able to represent your firm at industry conferences and events
- You’ll attact customers and clients to grow your business
…When you are an exceptional speaker.
Evaluate Your Speaking Skills, Plan to Develop One at a Time repeatable self-assessment
I’ll work with you to move from your current quadrant to High/High through personalized coaching or mentoring. If you’d like to create a widespread culture of Edgy and Breakthrough Speaking, we can plan small group workshops. All coaching, mentoring and small group professional development is customized to meet your specific objectives.703-790-1424